Shio koji (塩麹) has a salty, savory, and slightly sweet taste, and is often used as a natural seasoning and tenderizer for meats, fish, and vegetables. It is also used in marinades, dressings, and sauces. Shio koji is said to have several health benefits, including aiding digestion, boosting the immune system, and promoting healthy skin.
Shio koji is becoming more popular outside of Japan and can be found in specialty Asian grocery stores or online. It is also relatively easy to make at home with simple ingredients and equipment.
- 100g of Raw fresh koji
- 35g of salt
- 135g of water
- Loosen koji and break it apart
- Put koji and salt in a mixing bowl. Knead them well by hand until they are moist.
- Add water in Step 2 and mix them.
- Move Step 3 to a jar and leave it for 1 week.(During the aging period, mix it well once a day.)
- Put it in a refrigerator and use it up in 3 months.